Indiana Storms Kill at Least Six in Record Flooding
At least six people are dead after days of storms brought record flooding to Central Indiana, state public safety officials said, while USA Today counted seven deaths as of Aug. 16.

The Morning Brief Desk · August 17, 2026 · Based on reporting by AP News
Multiple days of storms pushed floodwaters in Indiana to record levels, and the disaster has killed at least six people, according to state public safety officials cited by the Associated Press. USA Today reported a higher figure, counting seven deaths as of its Aug. 16 report.
The two numbers come from separate tallies rather than a single official count. The AP attributed its total of six to Indiana public safety officials. USA Today's count of seven appeared in its own Aug. 16 reporting. Neither outlet's material reconciles the gap, and it remains unclear whether the discrepancy reflects timing, differing criteria, or deaths confirmed by different agencies.
The hardest-hit area appears to be Central Indiana, where the flooding set records, according to both outlets. Officials described the event as ranking among the worst floods the state has experienced. The storms moved across Indiana over a period of days before water levels reached their peaks. Communities affected by the high water have now shifted toward recovery, USA Today reported, though details about the scope of that effort, the extent of property damage, and the number of people displaced were not included in the available reporting.
The context
The flooding did not arrive from a single storm. According to the reporting, weather systems crossed the state over several days, and the cumulative rainfall eventually drove waters to levels not previously recorded. Central Indiana bore the brunt of the record-setting flooding, per USA Today.
Officials' characterization of the event as among the worst floods in Indiana's history is the main historical benchmark offered in the available material; neither outlet's summary specifies which past floods it is being measured against or provides rainfall totals, river gauge readings, or a timeline of when individual deaths occurred. The identities of the victims and the circumstances of each death also were not detailed in the material. The Indiana Department of Homeland Security is among the state entities connected to the response, though its specific role in the counts or recovery was not spelled out.
Why it matters
A flood that officials place among the worst in state history carries consequences well beyond the immediate death toll: damaged homes, disrupted infrastructure and a recovery effort that USA Today says is already underway across multiple communities. The event is a direct-impact disaster on U.S. soil with an active, ongoing response. The conflicting death tolls also matter for readers tracking the story, since the count could shift as officials consolidate reports and recovery crews reach areas that were cut off by high water.
What’s next
Recovery work is proceeding in affected Indiana communities, according to USA Today. Key open questions include whether the death toll will be reconciled or rise further, the full extent of property and infrastructure damage, and whether state or federal disaster assistance will be sought. Watch for updated counts from Indiana public safety officials and damage assessments as floodwaters recede.
Sources
AP News — 6 dead from historic flooding in Indiana
Indiana public safety officials say at least six people have died during days of storms and historic flooding across the state.
USA Today — 7 killed in Indiana storms that led to record flooding
Storms across Central Indiana left at least seven people dead as of Aug. 16 as recovery efforts begin, following record-setting flooding.
See a mistake? Report an error



